Monday, November 05, 2007

Auto email responses for crips - Part I

You know how it is when you tell people you're going to have an operation when you're disabled - they think you might be going to snuff it (hopefully not) or get all over-concerned. I'm not fond of people fussing so I want to write an informal auto response for my incoming email messages. I have a 'proper formal' one for some work contacts, but have a lot of friends who are also colleagues, who may appreciate a little crip-related humour. It needs to be something a bit tongue-in-cheek to diffuse any anxious reactions. This is what I've thought of so far...

"I will be on medical leave from (date) to (date). Occasionally I may limp pitifully to the computer in my dressing gown to reply to any undemanding e-mails. If you have sent a demanding e-mail that requires some thought, I may just go back to bed without replying. Please don't be offended if I don't reply, you wouldn't have got much sense out of me anyway. Body and mind will be operating at somewhat near normal capacity from (date) November."

Whaddya think? I expect I'll post up a few more until I have to leave for the hospital. Somehow it's easier seeing them written up somewhere. Argh, etc.

No comments: